The History of CCF – 70 Years & Beyond
What started as a simple fruit stand in 1949 has grown into something much more, while still maintaining the same values and beliefs that our business was built on. Take a look at how it all began.
Joseph T. Comito and Ross and Bernard Grandanette founded a fruit market in the capital city of Iowa. The first Capital City Fruit store was located at 1035 2nd Avenue in Des Moines.
The company moves to 1920 SE 14th Street and Joseph M. Comito joins CCF as a full-time employee. CCF continues its retail operations while expanding its wholesale, distributing, and shipping activities.
Joseph T. Comito, family patriarch, passes away. Joseph M. Comito now takes direction of Capital City Fruit.
Capital City Fruit doubles in size and adds a repacking operation.
After Mary Comito dies, Joseph M. becomes the third President of Capital City Fruit.
CCF moves to Norwalk, Iowa eleven employees strong.
Christian Comito is named the fourth President / CEO of Capital City Fruit.
Joseph M.’s three sons Kieran, Brendan, and Christian purchase the company.
The company relocates its offices, warehouse, and 120 employees to the north side of town.
Capital City Fruit celebrates 70 years of deeply-rooted relationships, company growth to over 150 employees, and delicious produce.
Get to Know Capital City Fruit
Take a look at who helps make Capital City Fruit what it is today!