Easy Apple Crisp
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup packed light-brown sugar
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, diced into small cubes
Apple Filling Ingredients
- 2 lbs. Granny Smith apples, or any apple of your choice (at room temperature) peeled, cored and sliced thin (about 1/8-inch)
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup light-brown sugar
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and position oven rack one level below the center. Butter an 8 by 8 inch baking dish (or small casserole dish with a similar size) and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup flour, oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. salt for 30 seconds.
3. Add diced butter and using clean fingertips, rub butter into dry mixture until it comes together into small crumbles. Transfer to refrigerator to chill while preparing filling.
4. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter and flour until well blended, then mix in water, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and pinch of salt.
5. Place apples in a large bowl. Pour butter mixture over apples and toss to evenly coat, then pour apple mixture into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer.
6. Remove topping from refrigerator and sprinkle into crumbles evenly over top of apples.
7. Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes, or until top is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a toothpick.
8. Remove from oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and salted caramel sauce if desired.
What you'll need for this recipe: