- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped medium onions
- 2 cups chopped celery (4 medium stalks)
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower (approx. 1/2 medium head)
- 2 cups chopped carrots (approx. 4 medium)
- 2 cups green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney or pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach, or 1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven (8-quart or larger) over medium heat.
2. Add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Cook for 13 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently until softened.
3. Add cabbage, cauliflower, carrots and green beans. Cook for about 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally until slightly softened.
4. Add broth, water, tomato sauce, tomatoes, beans and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in spinach and simmer for 10 minutes more.
5. Discard the bay leaf. Stir in basil. Ladle into bowls and top each portion with 1 tablespoon cheese.
What you'll need for this recipe: